Sunday, March 29, 2009

Quiet on the Home Front

It's been six days since Lil Luke and mommy Sally went home to San Diego. Now we are left with the thirty second camera phone videos and excess paraphernalia that has to be mailed to them. The house is all too quiet except for the dogs occasional barking. Grandpa spends his free time reading mystery novels and I am back to spending too many hours on the computer.

I keep occupied with trivial activities so as not to think about the pending deployment of my grandson. Sally and I try to avoid the news about the war but then find ourselves erily drawn to wanting to know the breaking news. As these young Marines prepare for the front lines we wonder what thoughts are going through their minds. The unspoken fear of the unknown, the uncertainty of coming home, the possibility of being wounded, the reality of perhaps giving the ultimate sacrifice for their country. I pray for all the troops safe return and wonder how God chooses which mother's, grandmother's or wife's prayers will be answered.

No matter what, I know that I could not cope without God's grace and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment